Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cravings for Corn Chips and Salsa


I don't know why, but for the last couple of days I have had intense cravings for Corn Chips and Salsa. This is a very strange craving for me, as I have been allergic to corn for 11 years now. It is not something I would even eat normally. Eating only raw foods, made the craving even more mysterious. Going to the grocery store and buying corn chips was not optional for both of the reasons already mentioned.
There are recipes I have found for raw corn chips, however, they contain CORN. Not something I can have. I needed to find some other alternative.

My daughter, ever so helpful, looked up raw un corn corn chips online, and found unicorn chips, but there was no link to any real unicorn chips, so I still needed to find some other solution!


For the 'chips' I decided upon a curry pancake recipe I found once, lots of flavour, and crunchy if left in the dehydrator for a long time! They don't taste like corn at all to most people, but with curry powder in them, they are Yellow and have a bold taste. I wonder... how can I make BLUE un-corn chips ?????



Curried Crackers or Uncorn Chips

Makes three trays... enough to solve a craving, though you need to make them way ahead of time in anticipation of a craving!

1 Cup Flax Seeds
1 Cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
1 tsp Curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp himalayan or celtic salt
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 cups filtered water

In a coffee grinder or high speed blender, grind the flax seeds to a powder.
Place all the ingredients into a high speed blender and process until a smooth batter forms. It should be the consistency of thick cream.
Spread batter onto dehydrator trays with the liner on . I found using a spatula that is also used for icing cakes works best. Make it even all through the tray for most even drying.
Dry at 105-110 degrees farenheit for 4 hours. Flip over and score into sizes that you like best.. rectangles, triangles, or squares.
Let dehydrate until crispy.

Sweet and Sour Salsa

This salsa is not hot or really sweet. I put no onions, garlic or hot peppers in it. It goes great with the curry chips as it balances the flavours out.

2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 lemon, juiced

Put all ingredients in to a bowl, mix together. Enjoy!

2 comments:

all_hallows_eve23 said...

Gayathri Subramanium Brown-Iyer commented at 11:21, 18 November
Yummers

Katya Delancey commented at 12:53, 18 November
She's amazing. She is also a photographer; she made the food, and took the pics.

Gayathri Subramanium Brown-Iyer commented at 12:56, 18 November
I hope she adds more recipes.

Katya Delancey commented at 13:17, 18 November
I'm sure she will!

Muriel and Ron said...

Im sure she will....