Friday, June 12, 2009

I Scream , we all Scream for Ice Cream!

Have you been to the grocery store lately and seen the size of the ice cream section ??? WOW!! What  a selection  ! I scanned the grocery store ice cream aisle tonight and saw shelf upon shelf of frozen desserts. They came in all sizes from the 500 ml ( pint sized) Haagen Daz kind to the 4 litre never-turns-liquid- EVER variety. ( When I was a teenager, I discovered that this was true! )

There is full fat dairy, dairy free, sugar free with artificial sugars, regular and a range of  all kinds of flavours I never thought I would see outside the 31 flavour Ice Cream shop I worked in a million years ago.   

Sad to say though, that even among the choices that there were, none, NOT ONE could I buy and take home with me for my family to eat. Most are made with many stabilizers, artificial ingredients, sugars, colours, dairy  or any number of things that we choose to stay away from. 

Perhaps this is why we have a bit of an Ice Cream obsession in our house. My littlest one wakes up and says first thing ' Can I have ice cream for breakfast.. Pleassssssee??????'

Sometimes I think I am the ONLY mom who says 'Sure honey, what flavour would you like today ?'


We have made a variety of Ice Creams in our days and a variety of ways.  Today, it was Strawberry Banana Goji Berry with Some Lacuma.  Since my little one had been very active in her own cheffing skills today, and decided to chop up some nuts and put them in cupcake holders, it was a fancy event! 

I did not take a picture with the fancy cupcake holders, and instead took a picture of the bowl that was intended to go into my tummy!

   Here it is with a delicious Chocolate Sauce and a Cherry on top!

The recipe is easy.. we used a high speed blender for it. I am not as certain how easy it would be in a regular blender, you may have to stop and push down the ingredients many times.

The ice cream was melting FAST in the hot afternoon sun. You can see puddles of ice cream floating through the crunchy chocolate! 

Strawberry Banana Lucuma Ice Cream 

1 1/2  cups  almond mylk 
1 cup frozen strawberries
2 frozen bananas
1 teaspoon lacuma
3 tbsp goji berries

Blend all in a blender, stopping to push down if you need to. It is ready when smooth and creamy.


       Chocolate Sauce

1/4 cup coconut oil melted
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp agave ( to taste)

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over ice cream by the teaspoon.  It will harden fast when the sauce hits the ice cream, as the coconut oil will harden quickly! Gives a nice 'crunch'.

The Lucuma is not necessary, but a nice touch to the ice cream. It adds a lovely flavour. 

No comments: